Chili sin carne:1 large onion 2 cloves of garlic Oil for sautéing 1–2 tsp chili powder 1–2 tsp (smoked) paprika 1 tsp cumin 1 tsp basil 3 tbsp tomato purée 1 can (500 g) crushed tomatoes 400 ml water 130 g roasted and ground broad beans (Karviaisten tila) 1 can kidney beans in brine 1 red long sweet pepper/bell pepper 1–2 tbsp brown sugar or maple syrup 2 tbsp soy sauce 2–3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes In addition: (flat-leaf) parsley and tomato
Pearled spelt:800 g Birkkala Pearled Spelt 800 ml water 1/2 tsp salt oil
1. Boil the pearled spelt in salted water for about 20 minutes or until the spelt has absorbed the water.
2. Mix a drop of oil with the cooked pearled spelt.
Chili sin carne:
1. Peel and chop the onions. Sauté the onions in oil for a moment.
2. Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin, basil and tomato purée and stir them for a while in oil on the hot pan. Add the crushed tomatoes, water and ground broad beans and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Drain and rinse the kidney beans. Rinse the red pepper with water.
4. Halve the pepper, remove the seeds and chop the halves into small pieces.
5. Add the kidney beans and chopped pepper and cook the stew for another 10 minutes or so.
6.Season with sugar or maple syrup and soy sauce. Complete the dish with nutritional yeast flakes, parsley and fresh tomato.
7. Serve the chili sin carne with cooked pearled spelt - enjoy!