The date cake, a Christmas’s favorite, is easy to make and only gets better when refrigerated for a while. This juicy cake is made with an additional ingredient of broad bean flour.
INGREDIENTS250 g dried dates 100 g coconut sugar 300 ml water 100 g butter 2 eggs 150 ml water 185 g broad bean flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 1/2 teaspoon genuine vanilla powder Also butter for greasing the cake tins 1–2 tablespoons coconut flakes
- Measure the dates, water and coconut sugar into a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes until the dates are soft and mashed. Add the butter. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Grease two small pans with butter and sprinkle coconut flakes into them.
- Mix the eggs and 150 ml of water. Add to the date mixture.
- Mix the dry ingredients together and add to the date mixture.
- Pour into the cake tins and bake at 170 °C at the bottom rack for about 40–45 minutes.
- Allow the date cake to cool well until you turn it out of the tin. Cover tightly with tin foil and refrigerate.